Great side dish with white fish or salmon.
- 2 large russet potatoes, raw (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup onion (about 1/2 of a small onion)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon flour (whole wheat or all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons oil, divided, for frying (I use peanut oil)
- Place peeled & chopped potatoes and onion into a food processor. Process for about 30 seconds until lumps are gone.
- Place in a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and let drain for 5 minutes or longer.
- Carefully pour off the drained liquid but keep the white starch that’s settled on the bottom.
- To the starch, add the drained potato/onion mixture, egg, flour, salt, & pepper.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup mounds into pan, flattening each one to an even thickness.
- Cook about 3 minutes per side, adding 1/2 teaspoon oil as needed. If not using cast iron, cook over med-high and they make take a little longer. (You can keep them warm in a 200° oven on a paper towel-lined pan.)